Sunday, December 25, 2011

NOT JUST ANOTHER CHRISTMAS MUSING



Another year comes to an end, whether the year was good or bad is a matter of personal judgment. Monsoon gone, winter has shown its face, everyone is wearing the warmest of clothes; sweet delight is in the air, songs, shopping, candles and cakes, trees and lights, smiles and joys, the shops and homes are decorated, music fills the ears, carols and gift exchanges, and all the merriments that makes one feel that it is Christmas, but does it mean that the joyous spirit will end with the end of the festival for the festival is not merely about celebration.  When asked a child what she likes about Christmas, she glibly replied, “Holidays. It is indeed a gift, exams being over there are no homework tensions, though cold I am chirpy like a spring bird, I am busy buying new clothes and visiting friends and families.” Like most of the children, during Christmas the earth looked renewed, I use to feel as if there was not a single mean soul on this earth, everyone had smiles on their faces and the frowns were at bay. The enthusiasms lessened in my teenage years, I came to learn that different people have a different approach towards life, and everyone cannot be happy just because I was happy, Christmas was fun but all of it was not memorable.  Now, that I have grown older, the childhood enthusiasm has come back. Yet, I have estimated that the card, cake and the gift shops are making heavy profits, the price of the clothes begins to soar high, and the crowd in the shopping complexes thickens. I wonder whether we are forgetting what the festival is all about, for in the midst of commercialization of this festival we are far from the essence of Christmas.
I believe that this festival is about benevolence, not only about giving and receiving gifts but of love and forgiveness, about care and share. Christmas is also the time to introspect ourselves, and see the things for which we should thank the giver. Charles Dickens’ ‘A Christmas Carol’, was always a fantastic read for all those people who believe that Christmas is the time to open up hearts and reach out to the people in distress, and if we cannot help through monetary means than through words of encouragement or my giving a helping hand to those who are in extreme need of it. Let us not be an intolerable miser like Ebenezer Scrooge, who finds no delight in giving, until he is taken for the life-changing ride by the spirits.
Judging by the biggest Christmas tree, the most beautiful dress and the best gifts, I wonder from where all these competition came up. For I grew up listening that, “It does not matter what you are wearing, whether an ugly sweater or a branded jacket, for what matters is the heart”. Whatever it is the world has its own reasons. One thing for sure, I believe this festival is a time for forgiveness, and in those twelve months I know we have hurt people and in turn people have hurt us, but I have decided not to spend the day in bitter grudge, I am going to release all the pessimistic thoughts and for this I am finding ways to do so. 
Finally, the question is; Christmas will be over but will we be able to sustain the magic of it? I am miles away from my hometown however it does not mean that I will shut myself from the beauty of the festival; for stuck in the busy world, friends act like families, I have friends from other communities who have respect for all religion and with them I have jotted down my plans which I believe will work out. I believe that I will be able to sustain the magic of Christmas with my nearer and dearer ones encircling me with their love, friendship and benevolence. Merry Christmas!
  
                   
                                          

1 comment:

  1. an eyeopening account with a lot of stress upon the simple yet effective roles of festival for the mass....indeed a great torchbearer these can happen to be , provided it takes care of one and all.merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Gap Year: Invest in Your Future

It's perfectly okay to take a gap year. Our state board has recently declared the Class-12 results. As usual, the majority of students f...