Monday, December 22, 2014

THE PARTING GIFT




         ‘Every happy ending is alike; every sad ending is unique in its own way…’
                                                                        Ayangti Longkumer
The door bell rang.
Aina’s bouncing hair synchronised her footsteps.
‘Hello!’ Straz greeted her.
‘Hi! When did you return from Mars?’ Aina was in full glee.
‘We need to talk, let’s go somewhere,’ Straz commanded.
‘Sure, but first I need a kiss,’ said Aina.
‘Let’s go.’
‘I want a kiss first,’ Aina’s lips pouted in stubbornness.
‘You can kiss me on the cheeks.’
Unheeded Aina kissed him on his lips and the kiss lasted for a minute.
‘Let’s go to the park,’ Straz suggested.
‘Sure, I’ll kiss you again under a big fat tree,’ Aina deciphered.
When they reached the garden, Aina asked, ‘Straz, did you miss me all these years?’
‘Aina, things are different now. I am engaged to be married.’
‘Fine! What’s her name?’
‘Her name is Manny.’
‘Fancy name. Tell me, does she have a great body like me?’ Aina teased.
‘How does it matter?’
‘You once said that I have the best body in the whole of the universe,’ it was a memory to display.
‘Come on, I liked everything about you, not only those petty vital statistics,’ Straz confessed.
‘Why don’t you leave her? I'll pray that she finds someone better than you.’
‘I can’t, it’s too late,’ Straz lowered his glance to the ground.
‘Let’s elope to a quiet place. Just you and me.’
‘Don’t be ridiculous. You better find a good man for yourself.’
‘Can’t. All the good men are dead. If you want then I can take you to the morgue.’
‘Aina, when will you grow up?’
‘Straz, this tree is so beautiful; I want to kiss you under it.’
A passionate kiss follows.
‘Why did you kiss me?’
‘Well, you didn’t stop me, I know you like it,’ Aina replied in total honesty.
‘I am so done with you. Goodbye,’ Straz walked away, leaving Aina all alone.      
Aina knew he will come back. After an hour, she saw him coming towards her.
‘I went to pack my bag.’
‘Good, by the way, did you see my necklace?’
‘Yes. I discreetly took it out while we were kissing beneath the tree.’
‘Why?’
‘Well, I have to give Manny a parting gift.’
‘So cheap of you.’
‘I know. Now quickly give me a kiss,’ Straz requested.
‘I thought you didn't like kissing me.’
‘I do, I always did. I love you, Aina.’
‘I love you too, Straz.’

Excuse me, can I have some water, please?


That was the alternate ending of a story whose actual ending was something like this, Straz never returned to Aina, they did not share any kiss that day, Aina wanted to kiss him badly but could not pluck up the courage, Straz, on the other hand, was a cold lover. He married Manny, they had two daughters. The necklace belonged to Manny; it was a parting gift which Straz had gently slipped in Aina’s pocket. Aina, on the other hand, died the following winter, with the necklace around her neck. And, why the hell are you expecting a happy ending? If you want a crappy romantic love story with a happy ending then grab your own copy of Mills & Boons. 

3 comments:

  1. you are really a good blogger.....actually the second ending seems more realistic and convincing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...Life is a journey. There wont be any happy Ending.

    ReplyDelete

Gap Year: Invest in Your Future

It's perfectly okay to take a gap year. Our state board has recently declared the Class-12 results. As usual, the majority of students f...